Food & Beverages Industry: Industry Facts
- The food and Drink industry is the countries largest single employer, Employing over 3.5 million people in the UK.
- 6500 Companies across the UK associated with food and drink manufacturing and sales. This accounts for 12% of total employment.
- Food and Drink manufacturing has a turnover of £66 billion per year.
- Consumable Spending on food and drink is currently valued at just over £147 billion.
- In 2005, there were over 6,000 new food and drink new product launches in Britain, which is the largest number of any European country and is twice as many as France.
- The UK accounts for 8% of all new food and drink launches worldwide.
- The UK exports there product to Ireland more than any other country.
- Scottish farmers and fishermen provide more than one third of our raw materials and are major suppliers to the UK industry.